Smartsheet is an online project and task management app with advanced collaboration features. It lets you create and manage sheets, reports and workspaces for your organization.
Column Cell Updated
Triggers when a cell of specified column is updated
Sheet Operations contains number of trigger events as mentioned here:
- New Row Created: Triggers when a new row is created in the specified sheet
- Row Updated: Triggers when an existing row is updated in the specified sheet
- Row Deleted: Triggers when an existing row is deleted from the specified sheet
- New Column Created: Triggers when a new column in created in the specified sheet
- Column Deleted: Triggers when an existing column is deleted from the specified sheet
- Comment Added: Triggers when a new comment is added to the specified sheet
- Comment Deleted: Triggers when a comment is deleted from the specified sheet
- Attachment Added: Triggers when a new attachment is added to the specified sheet
- Attachment Deleted: Triggers when an existing attachment is deleted to the specified sheet
- Discussion Deleted: Triggers when an existing discussion is deleted
You can select one or multiple trigger events to receive the notification.
To use Smartsheet in your workflow, you will first need to connect it with Built.io Flow.
To do this, drag any Smartsheet action listed under Smartsheet service on the canvas. In case of configuring Smartsheet triggers, double-click the Start icon on your canvas and select Smartsheet service. Then click on the Add New option listed under the Authorize Smartsheet field in the configuration window. You will be prompted to allow Built.io Flow certain permissions. Click ALLOW to continue.
Next, you will be prompted to a window asking you to authorize Built.io Flow to access your Smartsheet account resources.
Click Allow. You will be redirected to canvas.
Rename the authorization as per your choice and click ADD. You can now see the added authorization under Authorize Smartsheet field. Once added, this authorization will be available in all Smartsheet actions and triggers.
The Column Cell Updated trigger works when a new column value, which you have specified in the New Value field of the workflow, is added to any cell of the specified column.
Consider you have selected New Sheet123 in the Sheet field for which you want to set this trigger. Also, you have selected Column 1 in the Column Name field and entered John Doe as a new column value in the New Value field.
Now whenever any user enters the value John Doe in any cell of Column 1 in the smartsheet, you will receive the notification.
If you have specified the values for all the fields in the workflow but kept the New Value field empty, then any value a user enters or updates in any cell of the specified column of the smartsheet brings you a notification.
Note: The column value should be a text or an integer. The Column Cell Updated trigger does not run when a value is added to the empty cell of the specified column in Smartsheet.
There are 5 types of values you can specify in the New Value field and set the trigger accordingly. These values have a specified format that you need to define in the workflow as well as in Smartsheet UI so your trigger can notify you when it encounters such input data. When you create a new sheet in your Smartsheet account, each column of the sheet has these column properties or values on which you can set the trigger. For example, create a new sheet in your account and double-click on any column heading. You will see a dialogue box.
In the Column Type field, you can see the input types whose values you need to define in the New Value field of your trigger.
First, specify the sheet name and column name in the trigger. Then specify the values of these column type in the New Value field according to the format as shown below:
1) Text/Number: This can be a task name, project name etc. Enter a text or number as a value for this type. E.g., Demo or ‘2’.
2) Contact List: This can be an assignee, contact person etc. Enter the name or email ID of the person in text format.
3) Date: Enter the date in the format yyyy/mm/dd
4) Drop-down List: Enter the values in text format. In the UI, the values will appear in a dropdown list.
5) Checkbox: It provides a checkbox for the column. Specify Checked or Unchecked in the New Value field of the trigger. The trigger will the run accordingly.
Note: Same text or number should be defined as an input in the trigger fields and in the Smartsheet UI.